A change in scenery

This past April, I obtained a Bachelor of Arts (honours) in Geography. It was one of the most emotional, yet satisfying days of my life. My graduation marked the end of my days as an undergraduate student, where I was constantly exposed to stimulating topics and inspiring people. At the same time, it symbolised my ability to overcome the hardships of my final year in school, not without the help and support of friends and family.
Perhaps I found myself overwhelmed by my fourth year because I was the victim of Reverse Culture Shock (it really does exist!), where nothing could make this year as good as the previous term I had spent in Costa Rica. I had learned about this tropical country's environmental paradise first-hand, had met amazing people in my study abroad program and had almost perfected my Spanish-speaking skills. This unforgettable experience had allowed me to learn more about myself than I had ever imagined, and I didn't feel like anything back home could possibly live up to it.
Perhaps I also felt that this would be the last year I could get away with not knowing exactly what I wanted out of life, and that I still had a bit of time before I had to face the real world as an adult. Either way, my final year turned out to be the most challenging one of all, but also the most rewarding with regards to my personal limitations and capabilities.
This summer, I had a fantastic job as a tour guide/interpreter at Rideau Hall, where I made lasting friendships. I was able to learn about the Governor General's role and Canadian history, information I had never been exposed to in school, although that wasn't really an excuse to be so ignorant on these topics. Either way, I was extremely grateful to have gained invaluable knowledge and to have developed so many personal skills such as public speaking and mastering unparalleled efficiency in team work.
I was offered a position at the University of Ottawa as a Master's student for this academic year, where I would be given the chance to work alongside a reputable professor in the field. I would also be the first student to work on a Nature Watch project which encourages citizens to actively monitor change in their surrounding environment. While it seemed like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would build a solid foundation towards a successful career, I decided to turn it down- and I'm glad I did. Many of my friends have continued their studies right after finishing their undergrad and they have very honestly admitted that they wished they had done what I am doing now. That is, taking the time to figure out my true passions and determine what direction I want my future career to go in. So what does one do when trying to "find oneself"? Go to France, of course. Well, maybe not- but that's what I decided to do. I have only been here a few weeks, living with my sister in Clermont-Ferrand in the very lush region of Auvergne, but I have already made lasting memories with my spontaneous trips. I have no set plans and no itinerary...and it's only the beginning of an exciting adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Culture Shock Begin

The other side of Honduras

Is it carelessness or pure misfortune?